- Food should be used to fuel our bodies and not for constant pleasure
- I don’t use food as a reward, I don’t need food to dull my emotions or deal with a difficult day
- Eating in the morning is not essential to jump start your brain; our brains can work just find on coffee and creamer alone
- I eat to fuel my body and for joy I walk, listen and look at nature, exercise, read, spend time with family and friends
- Eating 6 small meals per day only keeps you constantly hungry and keeps your insulin levels high. I eat twice a day over a 6 hour period and am not hungry in between meals
- I spent 40 years worrying about being hungry and never was because I ate all the time. Now I know I will not die if I am hungry and the feeling will pass
- I am losing weight for the last time because it is a lifestyle change and not a diet; when I am in maintenance I will eat the same way
- Exercising will not help you lose weight, it will tone your muscles
- I will never be overweight again, I am at a normal BMI
- I can go to a party or social event and not eat if I choose, it is all about your thinking
- I can eat healthy on vacation and plan for a special meal or treat. Vacation is not about the food, it is about the people you are with and the experiences you have
- Eating low fat and low calorie foods usually means there is more sugar added which raises your insulin levels and keeps you hungry
- Intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast) helps you use your own body fat for fuel
I learned all this by reading the book “If I’m So Smart, Why Can’t I Lose Weight” by Brooke Castillo and joining Self Coaching Scholars. She has helped me manage my mind and emotions and shown me how to create an eating plan for weight loss and life.
More on the next blog.