Our identity affects our behavior. Our identity is a collection of thoughts about ourselves. It is how we see ourselves and how we think other people see us. If your identity is that your are an overweight or obese person who has been able to lose weight but never keep it off and always seem to be struggling, then you will create results that prove your thoughts. This used to be me.
Then I got introduced to the concept of deliberately creating a future identity. My new identity is that I am a thin person. Now that may be a stretch right now if you have 50 lbs to lose but stay with me, this is important. If you are visualizing yourself as a thin person, even just 10 lbs lighter, what do you think about, how do you feel, how do you act?
I have just lost 50 lbs over 10 months and to do that I had to:
- Stick to my eating plan, no sugar, no flour which was not that hard after the first few weeks because I was not hungry all the time like before
- Manage my mind and emotions
- Allow urges to eat off plan without indulging in them
- Eat 2 meals a day which is intermittent fasting
- Stay conscious of everything I put in my mouth, plan my meals and put myself in a position of success by not allowing the constant mind chatter to derail me
- Not beat myself up if I didn’t lose weight, if I overate or drank more than planned
- Continue to learn and tweak until I became my future self
My identity from the future created my results. I am free from my weight loss struggle. I know how to:
- Keep the weight off forever
- Deal with my problems without turning to food or alcohol
- Allow any emotion without needing to turn to sugary foods or snacks to numb my feelings
It is a beautiful thing! How do you see yourself?
If you have any questions or would like help with your weight loss, please leave comments at the top of the blog or email me at: email@example.com