Setting a Goal and Taking Action
- Pick a goal you want to work on, for example lose 50 lbs and keep it off forever.
- Set a date for completing the goal or break goal into mini goals with dates for completing each.
- List everything you need to do to accomplish this goal, this is called taking massive action
– Weeks 1 & 2: Eat 3 meals a day, no snacks
– Write down everything I put in my mouth
– Plan meals 24 hours in advance to avoid last minute decisions
– Weeks 3 & 4: Eat 3 meals a day, no sugar no flour, no snacks
– Weeks 5 & 6: Eat 2 meals a day, no sugar no flour
– Joy eat once a week for 1 entree or dessert from week 5 on, plan 24 hours in advance
– Write down urges to overeat sugar or flour
– Allow urges without giving in, allow emotions that come up, write them down
– Walk 30 minutes a day 5 days a week
– Weigh myself at least 3 days a week
– Limit alcohol to 2 glasses of wine per week, plan 24 hours in advance
– No sweets at work
– No sampling cookies when baking or food when cooking
4. Brainstorm your reason for wanting to lose the weight, what is going to get you through all the urges. What got me through my initial 6 weeks and beyond is that I wanted to be a person who honors my commitments to myself. Another one I have is that I want more from life than to think about food all the time or worry about my weight.
5. List all the obstacles you need to overcome to get to your goal
6. Come up with strategies to overcome the obstacles
– Not to beat yourself up when you make a mistake or blow it
– To forgive yourself if you make a mistake, learn and get right back on your plan
– You are willing to do what it takes to lose the weight and keep it off forever
– You have already had enough sweets, pasta, bread, etc. for a lifetime
– This is not a diet; make your eating plan something you can do for the rest of your life with once a week joy eats. It is doable, I am doing it.
8. You can do it!