Exercise and Weight Loss

Many people think that in order to lose weight, you need to exercise and eat less. I was one of those people. I exercised 5 days a week including: Hi Intensity Training (HIT), boot camps, and kick boxing. I never lost a pound with more intense exercise, I just became hungrier. That is because exercise helps to build muscle and when you want to lose weight, you need to be in fat loss mode. It is very difficult to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. That doesn’t mean it can’t every happen. I am sure people have done it but it takes a lot longer to lose the weight. 

It took me until just a year ago to fully realize that weight loss is 90% about what you eat and managing your mind and emotions. The other 10% is exercise. Exercise is still good for your body and while losing weight I still walked 5 days a week but I stopped everything else except for gentle yoga and strength exercises on my own 2 days a week. I did this for my bones and to manage my mind and not for weight loss. I was amazed at my pattern of weight loss following no sugar, no flour (NSNF) and only eating twice a day (intermittent fasting). I was easily able to lose 2 lbs a week and keep that up for at least 6 months and then it was 1 lb per week. Everyone’s experience is different but it is the only eating plan I have been on where I experience steady weight loss. When I was doing higher intensity exercise my weight would either stay the same or I would lose 1-2 lbs per month or gain 2 lbs.

I am not saying don’t exercise when you are trying to lose weight. What I am saying is to concentrate your efforts on what you eat and when for the most weight loss success. Exercise is great for the mind, body and soul. Now that I have lost all my weight and I am on maintenance, I am adding weights and kickboxing back into my exercise routine. I hope to add running soon.

What has been your experience with exercise and weight loss?

Categories Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Location Sessions by phone or Zoom video chat Phone 210-827-6518 Hours Hours vary, have daytime, evening and some week-end times available
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close